Saturday, January 17, 2009

This just blew my mind...

Neil Gaiman, one of my heroes, linked to this article from his blog and after reading it, I feel I must do the same:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html?full=true&print=true

I'm very much reminded of Edwin Abbott's book Flatland. Perhaps the British teacher and theologian was more right in his geometrical/sociological satire than we knew. I particularly like the part where the universe is described as "pringle" shaped. (though reading further, if the hologram theory proves sound, it might be actually be sphere shaped, if I understood the article correctly--which I probably didn't)

Fascinating stuff, and it actually feeds into an idea for a story I've been toying around with.

All I will say as a hint is that in the kingdom of the blind, the man who can see is king.

No comments: